I Heart Primary Sources

Here I attempt to honor (in a way that only the internet can) those who have contributed so much to the world and haven't been given enough credit. As I was so diligently taught, NEVER underestimate the value of a primary source. Therein lies the validation: sometimes you just can't prove that things happened any other way... And to my professors who dared to pinpoint the cardinal importance of sustained, self-conscious reflection I say: "I salute you."

My Photo
Name:

I'm an English Language teacher, but don't be fooled: speaking English isn't my only talent. I'm also interested in photography and travel, and I'm trying to learn Japanese, teach myself how to cook amazing things, and also not forget the Spanish and Italian that I studied in college...

Monday, January 08, 2007

Prove that traveling abroad in Archaic Japan wasn't sometimes extremely risky and always dirty. You can't.

"When they go on voyages across the sea to visit China, they always select a man who does not arrange his hair, does not rid himself of fleas, lets his clothing [get as] dirty as it will, does not eat meat and does not approach women...When the voyage turns out propitious, they all lavish on him slaves and other valuables. In case there is disease or mishap, they kill him, saying that he was not scrupulous in his duties."

[Source: Mason, R.H.P. and J.G. Caiger. A History of Japan. North Clarenden, VT: Tuttle Publishing, 1997.]

P.S. Just how many initials do authors need to have?

P.P.S. (For Chantyzzle: It may not be January 8th yet in America, but it definitely is here in Japan. To be sure.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home